|View from the south to the top of the Mesa Grande platform mound.|
Although the City of Mesa intended to construct an interpretive or educational center on the property, no money was available to do so. Mesa residents, including those who owned the property over the years, always expressed an interest in preserving the mound. To promote its development as an educational resource, the people of Mesa even held a parade down Main Street in 1927! Other movements took place over the years with the Mesa Grande Neighborhood Alliance and the Southwest Archaeology Team (SWAT) working to realize the development of an interpretive center. The Mesa Grande Neighborhood Alliance, SWAT, and the Arizona Museum of Natural History host the annual Open House and free pancake breakfast at the site—previously the only day the site was open each year. Since its purchase by the City of Mesa, SWAT has conducted excavations at Mesa Grande under the direction of Dr. Jerry Howard of the Arizona Museum of Natural History, obtaining a great deal of information about the site. The reproduction of the site’s ballcourt was also constructed by SWAT and Dr. Howard.
|Looking towards the future site of the visitors center.|
|Mesa and tribal representatives participate in the groundbreaking. Dr. Jerry Howard is on the right.|
Posted By April Carroll, Contract Associate Archaeologist - Archaeology Office