Tuesday, January 3, 2012

The Value of Volunteering


I first met Holly Young, Curator of Collections at Pueblo Grande Museum, in early 2011 at a meet and greet panel for museums around the valley area. I was interning in the registrar department for the Heard Museum. After hearing about Pueblo Grande from Holly, I realized that this museum was something right up my alley for combining my experience and knowledge in archaeology and my ever growing interest in museum studies. I came to Pueblo Grande Museum in June and began working in the Collections Department with Lindsey Vogel and Laura Andrew.

I have spent my time here learning the procedures and techniques of what goes on behind the scenes of an archaeological museum. From data entry and problem solving, to the opportunity to help from the beginning of the acquisition of the Light Rail collection, working here has allowed me to continue to learn and explore more about museums. While my time here has come to an end, the experience I have gotten will help me when I go back to Arizona State University for my Masters’ degree next fall in museum studies. I have enjoyed volunteering here and hope to continue to expand my experience and knowledge in the field of museums.

 
Posted by Lianne, Collections Volunteer
 
Interested in volunteering or interning? Sign up for our Docent Training Classes which begin next week, January 12 at 9:00am! Or contact Visitor Services Supervisor, Stacey Mays at 602-495-0901 for more information on the various volunteer opportunities available at PGM.
To hear more about volunteer experiences at Pueblo Grande Museum, check out these blog articles from some of our other past volunteers and interns.

Kids, Kids & Much Fun @ Pueblo Grande Museum

Why Volunteer?

Getting to Know Pueblo Grande Museum... Again

Every Job Has It's Own Language

No comments:

Post a Comment