Thursday, February 3, 2011

Can you guess what the Store Manager & the Curator of Collections were up to?


About a month ago, John Bezy and Stuart D. Scott gave a lecture about Mata Ortiz.

During the lecture, I did two things unusual for me. (1) I picked up a flyer and (2) read it. I found that John Bezy was leading a group of people down to Mata Ortiz, a small village about 100 miles of the US-Mexico border, in the Mexican state of Chihuahua. Since I had never been there; I started asking questions.

To my surprise I found that there were two available spaces. So I talked Holly Young, Curator of Collections, into joining forces with me and we signed up for the tour. So….off we went, in the wee hours of the morning, to meet up with everyone at 6am on Thursday morning. There were two vans – Our van was made up of a very diverse group of people – including a retired UN ambassador who had served in Africa. Our van was full of conversation about government, health care, religion and the local area.

As part of our trip to Mata Ortiz, we also took a tour of the pre-Colombian archaeological site Paquime. This site is one of the most important ancient monuments in Mexico. If you haven’t seen it – it’s a must. When Holly had been there (in a previous lifetime), the Museum had been housed in a very small building. NOW... it’s a very large modern building with many different displays containing wonderful artifacts.


While visiting Mata Ortiz, not only did we have the opportunity to meet and purchase pottery from the artists of the village but, John introduced us to the artists that he features in his book called “The Artistry and History of Mata Ortiz”.

All I can say is…..if you go, bring lots of cash! We saw some beautiful pottery.


Wedding Vase by Angela Corona
Rabbit by Tomas Quintana

Above are pictures of pottery that were purchased down at Mata Ortiz. If you can’t get to the village of Mata Ortiz, I invite you to come to our Store at Pueblo Grande Museum or check out our website – www.pueblograndestore.com . We have some wonderful pieces available to purchase.


Posted By Francine Kavanaugh, Museum Store Manager

No comments:

Post a Comment